MALAIKA AGBA, The Nigerian Woman Who Claims To Be God Almighty
Around 12 years ago, I watched a video clip that remains indelible in my mind. I still remember very clearly the songs chanted by the worshippers in the video. It was a programme by the late investigative journalist, Kola Olawuyi and it featured a woman who claimed with all seriousness that she was God Almighty, that she created everything that has existed, all that is existing and all that will exist. I bring to you the story of Malaika Agba, the Nigerian woman who claims to be God Almighty.
INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
Malaika Agba is known as sheer terror and resides on Alafia Street by Isolo Road Junction in Mushin, Lagos State in southwestern Nigeria where she holds what I will call an absolute control over her followers and worshippers while simultaneously casting a shadow of gloom and doom upon the neighborhood. As at the time I watched her clip then, she had about 800-1,000 worshippers but as it stands today, I do not know how many worshippers are still under her overpowering influence. Malaika was born OLAYINKA OLADIPUPO and she said her mother, who was still alive around 2004/2005 (her father died long before that), was based at Oke Moni at Isiwo (Isiwo-Ijebu) in Ogun State. She was born in the same house in Mushin where she declared herself to be God.
As a young lady, she got married and had four kids, three of whom died. She is left with one daughter.
Her ‘church’ has been described to look like the Cherubim and Seraphim. Her own church is named New Jerusalem Church and located around Alaafia Junction in Mushin, Lagos State. Its services are laced with fast-paced songs, members wearing colourful robes all singing the praises of the almighty and all-knowing Malaika Agba. Malaika Agba is still very much alive and is running her church with a strong grip on her followers and worshippers.
THE GOD CLAIM: BECOMING THE ALMIGHTY
She has no doubt in her mind that she is God and this she makes very clear in her interview below with Kola Olawuyi:
THE DEATH OF BOSE OLANIYI IN MALAIKA’S CUSTODY
Actually, what really brought Malaika Agba to limelight was a criminal case. A 21-year-old girl named Bosede Olaniyi had died in Malaika’s home under very questionable circumstances. The girl was adopted by Malaika Agba when she was around 12 years of age. Malaika Agba claimed she knew the mother of the child on a mountain where they prayed but did not really know of the father. She adopted the girl in 1997 and the girl was with her until around 2005 when she died all of a sudden and swiftly buried at the Matori Cemetery on the orders of Malaika Agba who said she was in a service when they called her and told her of Bose’s death.
Malaika Agba would later confess that she used to do what she called ‘spiritual surgeries’ for her followers to ‘evacuate the dirt in their stomachs’. She had initially claimed that Bose died after complaining of malaria. Following the outcry from the public, the corpse of the late Bose was exhumed few weeks after her burial and taken to the Military Hospital on Awolowo Road in Ikoyi where forensic pathologists said they notice an accumulation of bacteria around her heart and that under her elbow was a gaping hole of an injection. Malaika Agba later stated that it is true that she used to inject her followers when it was time for the ‘spiritual surgery’. What she injected them with was not really established.
Malaika Agba was arrested and detained at the Police Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Headquarters in Panti, Lagos State where she made all her confessions. But at that moment, the case died out and she was freed due to her influence and clout. Kola Olawuyi himself said he had to turn down the heat on the matter because if he pressed on with it, she would have been charged with murder and would most likely go to jail or even worse and that he did not want Nigerians to accuse him of being the one to orchestrate the jailing or execution of another person (you definitely know the warped thinking of many Nigerians na). So he let the case die a natural death and many people never heard of Malaika Agba again.
Kola Olawuyi would later die and his very resourceful investigative journalism platform faded away. But my interest in the case never waned at any point as I always wondered what became of Malaika Agba and her horde of utterly subservient worshippers who bowed before her with unflinching surrender. Her commands were followed without an atom of questioning, she had total control, and I think she still does. If you arrive late at her services, you will be flogged, if you talk to someone else while she is preaching, you will be flogged and if you make the mistake of dozing or sleeping off while she is giving her sermon, that will be extra dose of flogging for you.
INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT MALAIKA AGBA
- Her nickname or appellation ‘Malaika Agba’ can be translated to mean ‘The Most Senior Angel’, ‘The Most Powerful Angel’ or ‘The Mysterious Angel’.
- She loves music and her favourite musician is King Sunny Ade, thejuju music star.
- She talks with a stammer.
- She is said to burn money offerings from her members if the sum is not sufficient enough. On Fridays, she blocks the entire street for her prayers and procession.
- Malaika Agba is addressed as ‘Baba’ meaning ‘The Father’, she claims to be a man and a woman all wrapped into one and you cannot enter her presence with your shoes on for her area has been declared ‘holy’. She claimed the name ‘Baba’ was given to her by some Islamic clerics (alfas) who ‘checked’ and did their research and knew that she was indeed, the real deal.
- She has a small or dwarfish physique but all her followers bow before her.
- Abiodun Maryann Olanrewaju Yetunde is an Abiyamo fan and this was how she described Malaika Agba: She used to have a Church/Mosque in Alaafia str*Mushin….dey worship as Christians on Sunday n As Muslims on Friday. ….she would spread mats from d beginning of alaafia junction to Cameron str…..different colours of sultanas,pple acted like dey were possessed during praise n worship….during easter period her husband will ride on a horse like it’s written in d Bible*dat one don bleach finish come get long hair forming “Malaika Jesus”… KSA was d only artiste invited to sing during her birthday n she never allowed anyone to spray her on her forehead… she will sit on a chair n pple will spray d money on her feet….make I shut up here*
Hmmmm…..***I got to know all ds coz my mum has a shop somewhere around Alaafia b4 una begin tnk say I dey worship there*****
- Malaika Agba is widely feared, especially by those in her neighborhood. Some of those who lived on her street whom I interviewed are still terrified of her despite leaving the area over a decade ago. They told me of how Malaika Agba was fond of snatching the husbands of various women in the area. Although Malaika Agba claimed to be married as at the time Kola Olawuyi interviewed her, she made it clear she loves sex and cannot ignore it. She said she came to this world from her celestial abode to do faaji (enjoy). She is accused of buying men to have sex with her while another allegation is that she turns the male members of her congregation her sex slaves but she says she is married.
- Her ‘church’ has been described as a ‘den of death’ where worshippers die under very questionable circumstances but are hurriedly buried.
- If worshipers contribute their offerings during service and its made up of mostly small denominations, she’s known to burn the entire cash.
- Malaika Agba said she decided to come ‘down’ to earth because the complaints lodged by human beings to her in heaven were just too much. Therefore, she decided to descend and see things for herself. Why she chose Nigeria is what I don’t get. What happened to South Sudan, Libya or Syria?
You can watch the full programme of Kola Olawuyi in which he featured Malaika Agba below:
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.